Friday, August 14, 2009

Eye Opening Experience

Today was a busy day of running around and lots of errands. I had a dentist appointment this afternoon and got a babysitter for the kids. I've used this sitter before, and never had a problem until today.

I got home from my appointment and said hi to the kids and went into my room to change (to head out on a girls night) and decided to check my messages before I took the sitter home. On my machine was a neighbor who was driving by, telling me that my sweet little Macy was out on the corner of main street all by herself. WHAT!?!?

I went out and asked the babysitter if Macy ran away today and she was like, "oh yeah, I was helping Asher with something and then she was gone. I looked all over for her and then I found her up on main street with some cars stopped and people with her."
I just wanted to yell and scream at her and I was holding back the tears. That's MY CHILD, you are not watching!!

I think I have been too lax about sitter's. Perhaps they don't realize what a huge responsibility watching someone's child is. What if she would have been hit! I take comfort that luckily everything is fine, and she will never babysit my children again.

This whole experience has really hit me hard. Luckily my friend Tashina was nice enough to let me shed some tears her shoulder. My mom ended up babysitting for the rest of the night and my evening turned out fun. Tashina and I headed to dinner and a movie.

Stephen's out of town to Jackson Hole climbing the Teton Mountains. He called me this morning around 10:30 to tell me they had reached the summit. I'm so glad he can go and have fun with his friends, and I'm so glad I can go hang out with my friends too.

Tashina and I took our kids to Oquirre lake this morning to play on the sand and in the water. She has two little boys, Carson and Asher. ( I know what are the odds we both have Asher's) They all get along so great and we had a fun new experience.








Now I'm going to go hug and kiss and love my baby and thank Heavenly Father for protecting her today.

2 comments:

Andrea S. said...

What a scary experience. I am so paranoid about babysitters that we have yet to leave our kids with someone that isn't family (and over 18). I'm glad to hear Macy's okay and was being watched over.

Meghan & Chase said...

I have a book suggestion about child safety- it's called Protecting the Gift by Gavin De Becker. There's actually a list of questions you can ask babysitters to ensure safety. It is kind of an intense book and has some really sad stories, but I am really glad I read it.